Classic Middle Eastern Hummus
- 3 cloves garlic
- 16 oz canned chickpeas drained, liquid reserved
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp sesame tahini paste
- 1 lemon juiced (be sure to remove seeds)
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 tbsp liquid from the chickpeas
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco or other favorite hot sauce optional
- 1/4 c minced flat parsley
- Peel and finely mince the garlic. Use a garlic press or the food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Blend the tahini to mix the oil and solid paste.
- Add the garlic, chick peas, salt, tahini and lemon juice to the food processor and process until the hummus is coarsely pureed.
- Slowly pour in the olive oil while the processor is running.
- Check texture and add the liquid from the chick peas. Process to form a smooth consistency.
- Add Tabasco and taste for seasoning.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Recipe by Mary C. Merola May 1992
Calories: 138kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 3gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 455mgPotassium: 132mgFiber: 3gSugar: 0gVitamin A: 165IUVitamin C: 10.2mgCalcium: 33mgIron: 1.1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!