Fresh Spring Rolls
- 4 ounces uncooked rice vermicelli
- 8 rice wrappers 8.5 inch diameter
- 8 large cooked shrimp - peeled deveined and halved, lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic - peeled and smashed optional
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 cucumber julienne cut including peel
- 1 small carrot peeled, julienne cut
- 4 tsp Thai basil chopped fresh
- 4 tsp mint leaves chopped fresh
- 4 tsp cilantro chopped fresh
- 3 leaves lettuce chiffonade cut
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Boil rice vermicelli 3 to 5 minutes (follow directions on the package) and drain. Rinse with cold water and place in bowl.
- Saute shrimp in peanut oil and garlic (optional). Do not overcook.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip three wrappers, one at a time, into the water for a second to soften. Let each wrapper drip and lay it flat on a cutting board. In a row across the center of each wrapper, place 2 shrimp halves, a small handful (about 2 TBSP) of vermicelli, about a 1/2 teaspoon each of Thai basil, mint, cilantro, about 5 strips of julienne cucumber and 5 strips of carrot, and about 2 TBSP lettuce, leaving about 2 inches uncovered on each side. Fold short sides inward, then tightly roll each wrapper, beginning at the end with the lettuce. Repeat.
- Serve spring rolls at room temperature with peanut sauce. May be covered with moist paper towels for up to 1 hour prior to serving. If refrigerated, wrappers tend to become hard and tough.
Calories: 137kcalCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 3gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 187mgPotassium: 95mgFiber: 1gSugar: 0gVitamin A: 1315IUVitamin C: 2.1mgCalcium: 29mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!