Overnight Breakfast Strata
- 4 cups bread cubed 1inch x 1inch
- 2 cups milk
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp fine black pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Cube your choice of bread into 1-inch cubes equal to 4 cups. On a rimmed baking sheet bake your bread pieces just until they're barely starting to crisp on the outside, about 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely before assembling.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, eggs, salt, pepper and Dijon mustard. Whisk until well combined and set aside.
- If including add ins, sauté vegetables or cook meats ahead of time and allow to cool completely before assembling.
- In a separate bowl, combine cooled bread cubes, add ins (optional) and 1 ½ cups of shredded cheese until well mixed. Place in buttered baking dish.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture over the mix of bread, cheese, and add-ins. Press the bread down with your hands to make sure it's covered in liquid. Top with reserved cheese, and cover with foil. Refrigerate overnight.
- Following day, preheat oven to 350°F. Remove from refrigerator and place on counter for half an hour before baking. Place covered pan in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 to 30 minutes more until cheese is melted and egg custard is set, or when center doesn’t jiggle when shaken.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving.
Calories: 336kcalCarbohydrates: 14gProtein: 21gFat: 21gSaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 265mgSodium: 846mgPotassium: 259mgFiber: 0gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 825IUCalcium: 422mgIron: 1.9mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!