Apple Sharlotka (Russian Apple cake)
- 6 large Tart Apples such as Granny Smiths
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Butter the paper and the sides of the pan.
- Peel, halve and core your apples, then chop them into medium-sized chunks. (I cut each half into four “strips” then sliced them fairly thinly — about 1/4-inch — in the other direction.)
- Pile the cut apples directly in the prepared pan.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer or whisk, beat eggs with sugar until thick and ribbons form on the surface of the beaten eggs.
- Beat in vanilla, then stir in flour with a spoon until just combined. The batter will be very thick.
- Pour over apples in pan, using a spoon or spatula to spread the batter so that it covers all exposed apples. (Updated to clarify: Spread the batter and press it down into the apple pile. The top of the batter should end up level with the top of the apples.)
- Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a tester comes out free of batter.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes on rack, then flip out onto another rack, peel off the parchment paper, and flip it back onto a serving platter. Dust lightly with ground cinnamon and powdered sugar.
Calories: 328kcalCarbohydrates: 75gProtein: 4gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 29mgPotassium: 221mgFiber: 4gSugar: 57gVitamin A: 190IUVitamin C: 7.7mgCalcium: 26mgIron: 1.3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!