Nanaimo Barsfunction junction
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Calories 236 kcal
- 8 Tbsp Butter unsalted, melted
- 1/4 Cup Sugar granulated
- 1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder Unsweetened , Dutch-process cocoa preferred
- 1 large Egg
- 1 Cup Coconut Sweetened or Unsweetened
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts or Pecans
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Graham Cracker Crumbs made from about 13 whole crackers
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" square pan or 11" x 7" pan.
To make the crust:
- Place all of the crust ingredients butter, sugar, cocoa powder, egg, coconut, walnuts or pecans, vanilla and graham cracker crumbs in a mixing bowl and beat at medium speed just until thoroughly combined.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set it aside to cool.
- 8 Tbsp Butter Unsalted at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp Salt omit if you use salted butter
- 2 Cups Confectioners' Sugar sifted
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 2 Tbsp Milk
To make the filling:
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine the softened butter, 1 cup of the sugar, and the vanilla, beating until smooth.
- In a small bowl combine instant vanilla pudding mix with the milk, stirring until thick and smooth.
- Add the pudding mix to the butter/sugar mixture stirring to combine.
- Add the remaining sugar and beat until the filling is smooth.
- Spread it over the cooled crust cover, and refrigerate until chilled.
- 1 Cup Chopped Bittersweet Chocolate or Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream or 2 Tbsp butter
To make the icing:
- Combine the chocolate and cream or butter in a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat until the cream is steaming. Stir until smooth.
- Spread the frosting onto the bars.
- Refrigerate until the chocolate is set.
- Cut into small squares about 1 3/4" or rectangles to serve. The bars will be very stiff when cold but will soften quickly at room temperature.
- Store covered in the refrigerator, for up to 1 week. These bars also freeze well.
From King Arthur Flour https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/nanaimo-bars-recipe