Rhubarb and Custard Cake
Pastry Cream Ingredients:
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Vanilla Pod Seeds scraped
- 1 Whole Egg plus 1 Yolk
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Corn Starch
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
Rhubarb Topping Ingredients:
- 2 Tbls Butter
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cardamom
- 14 oz Rhubarb chopped into 1-inch size pieces
Cake Batter Ingredients:
- 12 Tbls Butter
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs medium, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla sugar or extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
Directions to make the cake:
- Grease and line a 9-inch spring-form cake pan with parchment
- Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs bit by bit.
- Combine the dry ingredients and sift into the egg mixture.
- Fold in until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and spread out evenly.
- Spread 1 cup of the pastry cream evenly on top of the batter.
- Remove the rhubarb, reserving the syrup, and scatter over the cake.
- Bake for about 1 hour in the oven (lowering the heat if the top gets too dark). A skewer inserted into the middle of the cake should come out clean, although the pastry cream will remain a bit wet.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before drizzling with reserved rhubarb syrup.
Directions to make the pastry cream:
- In a saucepan, heat the milk with the vanilla pod and seeds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar, and add the corn starch.
- When the milk has just reached the boiling point, remove from heat and pour 1/3 of it into the egg mixture while whisking continuously.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the remaining hot milk, whisking continuously.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil, carefully.
- Whisk continuously as the mixture thickens, for just under a minute
- Remove from heat and stir in the salt and butter.
- Pour into a cold bowl and cover with cling wrap to prevent a skin forming.
- The mixture will keep in the fridge for a few days.
Directions to make the rhubarb topping:
- In a pan set over a low heat, melt the butter, then stir in the sugar and cardamom.
- Add the rhubarb, stir to coat in the butter and stew for 2–3 minutes.
- Set aside to infuse.
Adapted from: ScandiKitchen: Fika and Hygge by Bronte Aurell
Calories: 375kcalCarbohydrates: 48gProtein: 6gFat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 357mgPotassium: 245mgFiber: 1gSugar: 32gVitamin A: 665IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 112mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!