New White Pizza
For the dough:
- 1 1/4 cups warm 100 to 110 degrees water
- 2 pkgs dry yeast
- 1 tbsp honey
- olive oil
- 4 cups all-purpose flour plus extra for kneading
- Kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes crushed
For the topping:
- 3 cups Italian fontina cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese grated, fresh
- 11 ounces creamy goat cheese such as montrachet, crumbled
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- black pepper freshly ground
- 8 ounces baby arugula
- 1 lemon sliced
- Mix the dough: Combine the water, yeast, honey and 3 tablespoons of olive oil in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. When the yeast is dissolved, add 3 cups of flour, then 2 teaspoons salt, and mix on medium-low speed. While mixing, add up to 1 more cup of flour, or just enough to make a soft dough. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until smooth, sprinkling it with the flour as necessary to keep it from sticking to the bowl.
- Knead by hand: When the dough is ready, turn it out onto a floured board and knead it by hand a dozen times. It should be smooth and elastic.
- Let it rise: Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl and turn it to cover it lightly with oil. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Make garlic oil: Place 1/2 cup of olive oil, the garlic, thyme and red pepper flakes in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook for 10 minutes, making sure the garlic doesn't burn. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. (Be sure your oven is clean!)
- Portion the dough: Dump the dough onto a board and divide it into 6 equal pieces. Place the doughs on sheet pans lined with parchment paper and cover them with a damp towel. Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes. Use immediately, or refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Stretch the dough: Press and stretch each ball into an 8-inch circle and place 2 circles on each sheet pan lined with parchment paper. (If you've chilled the dough, take it out of the refrigerator approximately 30 minutes ahead to let it come to room temperature.)
- Top the dough: Brush the pizzas with the garlic oil, and sprinkle each one liberally with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the pizzas evenly with fontina, mozzarella and goat cheese. Drizzle each pizza with 1 tablespoon more of the garlic oil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the crusts are crisp and the cheeses begin to brown.
- Make the vinaigrette: Meanwhile, whisk together 1/2 cup of olive oil, the lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Add the greens: When the pizzas are done, place the arugula in a large bowl and toss with just enough lemon vinaigrette to moisten. Place a large bunch of arugula on each pizza and a slice of lemon and serve immediately.
Taken from Ina Garten’s book, Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics.
Calories: 979kcalCarbohydrates: 73gProtein: 43gFat: 57gSaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 913mgPotassium: 371mgFiber: 4gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 2290IUVitamin C: 21.1mgCalcium: 662mgIron: 6.1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!