Perfect Whole Roasted Chicken
- 4 lb Chicken whole
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cracked pepper fresh
- Place chicken breast side down and make 4 incisions (2 on each side) of the back bone about 1 inch deep.
- With the handle of a wooden spoon, separate skin from the meat of the chicken.
- Using a fine-point paring knife, or metal skewer, punch 6 holes in each breast and thigh (24 holes).
- Rub chicken thoroughly with salt, baking powder, and pepper mixture.
- Place in refrigerator, uncovered, for 8 - 12 hours to dry age.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a roasting pan with V-rack, place chicken, breast side down in oven.
- Roast chicken for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn chicken breast side up, return to oven.
- Continue roasting for 15 – 25 minutes or until the breast meat reaches approximately 135 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
- Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees and continue roasting for 5 – 10 minutes until skin is golden brown and crisp. Let chicken rest, uncovered, for at least 10 minutes. Carve and serve immediately.
Recipe written and submitted by Lisa Burgess for publication on Function Junction website.
Calories: 653kcalCarbohydrates: 1gProtein: 56gFat: 45gSaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 226mgSodium: 1375mgPotassium: 668mgFiber: 0gSugar: 0gVitamin A: 425IUVitamin C: 4.9mgCalcium: 74mgIron: 2.9mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!