Prime Rib - Merola Style
- 6 lb roast-ready bone-in prime rib roast (ribs cut off and tied to roast)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Dijon prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp celery seed
- Pat meat dry with paper towels. If time permits, allow meat to air dry (uncovered in a non-reactive pan) in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and allow the meat to come to room temperature, about 1 hour. Score the fat by dragging a sharp blade through it at about 1/8-inch-deep to allow seasonings better absorption into meat.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil, or, I use a large 12-inch cast iron pan with no foil. Put a flat roasting rack in pan. Place meat on rack in roasting pan.
- Combine olive oil and mustard to form a paste. Rub the roast with paste, covering all sides.
- Whisk together flour, pepper, salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and celery seed in a small bowl. Place in a medium mesh strainer, tap and shake to coat the roast, turning to cover three exposed sides with flour mixture.
- Roast in preheated 425° oven for 15 minutes. Drop temperature to 300°. Cook to your desired degree of doneness; about 1 hour 15 minutes (15 minutes a pound). For medium-rare, roast to an internal temperature (using an instant read thermometer) of 120°F (49°C); for medium, 130°F (54°C); for well-done, 140° F (60°C).
- When the roast has finished cooking, take it out of the oven, and cover with aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing to allow the juices to reabsorb.
Calories: 1396kcalCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 62gFat: 123gSaturated Fat: 51gCholesterol: 274mgSodium: 522mgPotassium: 1002mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 123IUCalcium: 34mgIron: 7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!