Apricot Pecan Chicken Saladfunction junction
Apricot Pecan Chicken Salad
- 1 chicken breast tenderized
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper coarse
Aromatics to go in the bag:
- 1 orange juiced
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped coarse
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- ½ cup water
- 6 apricots dried, cut in quarters
- ½ cup sweet onion
- 1 stalk celery cut lengthwise then diced small
- ½ cup mayonnaise adjust to preference
- orange zest
- Fresh Tarragon to taste coarsely chopped (I use three sprigs)
- Salt to taste about ½ teaspoon
- ¼ cup pecans toasted then chopped for garnish
- 12 red seedless grapes cut in quarters (optional)
Bring water to boil in a 2qt saucepan. Dry chicken breast with paper towels and tenderize using a blade tenderizer. Rub chicken with salt and pepper. Place in
Stasher Bagwith orange juice, lemon zest, chopped parsley, and tarragon. Seal tightly and place in boiling water. Boil for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove bag from pot. Chicken should be firm when pressed with your finger. Set bag with chicken and aromatics aside to cool.
Bring ½ cup fresh water to boil in small saucepan. Slice apricots into quarters and place in boiling water and remove from heat. Allow apricots to stand and soften for at least 15 minutes. Drain off liquid.
When chicken has cooled enough to handle, discard aromatics but retain the liquid in the bag. Shred chicken into bite sized pieces using the
Shred Machine™or two forks.
Place shredded chicken, apricots, onion, celery, mayonnaise, orange zest, tarragon and salt in a large bowl. Mix well to combine. Add reserved aromatic liquid from bag if needed. Add grapes for added sweetness if desired.
Toast ¼ cup whole pecans on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes, shaking once after about 3 minutes. When cooled, chop pecans and sprinkle on chicken salad just before serving.
Makes 8 half-cup servings.
Created by Rebecca Merola, May 2019