Moist Bread Dressing for Poultry
- 1 lb white bread loaf sliced
- ¼ lb unsalted butter
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 stalks celery trimmed and diced
- 1 leek sliced
- 1 shallot peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 granny smith apple cored and chopped
- ¾ cup flat parsley chopped
- ¼ cup fresh sage finely chopped
- 2 T fresh rosemary finely diced
- 1 T thyme finely diced
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp fine black pepper
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 3 cups turkey or chicken stock Warm and return to room temperature
- 1 cooked turkey heart and gizzard finely chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees and position rack to center of oven. Cut bread in one-inch square pieces and place in half sheet baking pans. Use two if needed. Do not crowd bread. Place bread in oven and allow to toast to golden brown slowly. This should take 20-25 minutes.
- Using a large 6qt deep sauté’ pan, melt the butter on low heat. Add the onion and celery. Cook for 10-15 minutes. Allow to caramelize. Soak the sliced leek in water so any dirt and grit fall to the bottom. Drain and add to the pan. Add the shallot. Mix and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Add chopped herbs, salt & pepper, mix and cook for 1 minute. Add Granny Smith apple, mix and remove from heat.
- Remove bread from oven and allow to cool. Transfer to large bowl. Add raisins and cranberries. Using a ladle, add stock one cup at a time to the bread and mix with a wooden spoon, incorporating the mixture slowly allowing the bread to absorb the stock without becoming mushy.
- Beat the eggs and blend into the bread mixture. Add more stock if needed. Add onion, celery, leek, shallot, apple to bread mixture and blend. Combine heart and gizzard if you choose to use them. Refrigerate dressing for 2-3 days before cooking.
- Dressing can be placed in a lightly buttered covered casserole and cooked at 350 for 50 minutes.
Calories: 253kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 7gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 686mgPotassium: 270mgFiber: 3gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 812IUVitamin C: 9mgCalcium: 132mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!