- 1 1/4 cups whole almonds lightly toasted
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs large, plus 1 large white beaten with pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp butter, unsalted melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- vegetable oil spray
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
- (The almonds will continue to toast while the biscotti bake, so toast the nuts only until they are just fragrant.)
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease baking sheet and place silicone baking mat on it.
- Pulse 1 cup almonds in food processor until coarsely chopped; transfer to bowl and set aside. Process remaining 1/4 cup almonds in food processor until finely ground, about 45 seconds. Add flour, baking powder, and salt; process to combine. Transfer flour mixture to second bowl.
- Process 2 eggs in now empty food processor until lightened in color and almost doubled in volume, about 3 minutes. With processor running, slowly add sugar until thoroughly combined, about 15 seconds. Add melted butter, almond extract, and vanilla and process until combined, about 10 seconds.
- Scrape down bowl, and buzz again briefly.
- Transfer egg mixture to a bowl large enough to mix all ingredients. Sprinkle half of flour mixture over egg mixture and gently fold until just combined. Add remaining flour mixture and chopped almonds and gently fold until just combined. Divide batter in half.
- Using floured hands, form each half into 8 by 3-inch rectangle. Spray each loaf lightly with oil spray.
- Using rubber spatula lightly coated with oil spray, smooth tops and sides of rectangles and gently brush tops of loaves with egg white wash.
- Bake until loaves are golden and just beginning to crack on top, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let loaves cool on baking sheet for 30 minutes. Transfer loaves to cutting board and using serrated knife, slice each loaf on slight bias into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Lay slices cut side down, on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until crisp and golden brown on both sides, about 35 minutes, flipping slices halfway through baking.
- Let cool completely before serving. Glaze with chocolate if desired (recipe below).
- Biscotti can be stored in airtight container for up to 1 month.
- Makes 30 cookies.
- Boil water, corn syrup, and sugar. Remove from heat. Add chocolate.
- Let stand to melt, 2-3 minutes then whisk together.
- While biscotti are still warm, dip into chocolate.
- Place on silicone baking mat to set.
Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen
Calories: 185kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 2gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 40mgPotassium: 130mgFiber: 1gSugar: 19gVitamin A: 65IUCalcium: 39mgIron: 1.1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!