Chicken, Shrimp, Sausage Gumbo
- ⅓ C. lard or vegetable oil
- 2 ½ lbs. okra divided
- 1 ½ Tsp. white pepper
- 1 Tsp. finely ground black pepper
- ½ Tsp. ground red pepper
- 2 C. white onion chopped
- 8 C. chicken stock
- 2 C. shrimp stock
- 2 C. tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 ½ Tsp. salt
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 Tsp. onion powder
- ½ Tsp. thyme dried
- ¼ Lb. unsalted butter one stick
- 1 Lb. smoked andouille sausage cut into coins
- 1 chicken breast oven roasted, cooled and shredded
- 1 Lb. uncooked shrimp
- ½ C. scallions finely sliced
- Chop, slice, shred and measure all ingredients and set aside in order of use. Once underway, there is little time to prepare individual ingredients prior to adding them.
- Take half of the okra and cut lengthwise into quarters. Cut the remaining half into coins and set aside. In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the lard or oil on high until it begins to smoke, about 3 minutes. Add the okra cut lengthwise and cook about three minutes. Add 1 tsp each of white and black pepper and all the red pepper. Stir well and continue cooking until well browned, about 10 minutes. Bottom and side of pot will turn black, creating a fond.
- Stir in chopped onions and cook for about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of stock and cook, stirring and scraping the sides and bottom as needed to incorporate the fond.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and continue to cook, stirring and scraping frequently, about 5 minutes. Add another 2 cups of stock, garlic, remaining white pepper, salt, onion powder, and thyme. Cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Add butter and continue cooking, scraping bottom of pan, until butter is melted. Add remaining chicken stock and shrimp stock and bring to a boil.
- Add andouille sausage and cooked chicken. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes. Add okra coins and simmer an additional 10 minutes. Skim any fat on the surface.
- Just before serving, add peeled shrimp and scallions. Return to a boil then remove from heat.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Rebecca Merola, Inspired heavily by the late, great Chef, Paul Prudhomme
PRODUCTS USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Serving: 2cupsCalories: 211kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 13gFat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 754mgPotassium: 403mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 609IUVitamin C: 15mgCalcium: 85mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!